Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Letter Home

Dear mom,
   I miss you and dad a lot, but I couldn't be happier with my decision to move here. Baltimore is a great city and I have been meeting other immigrants that I've become friends with. The Americans aren't very welcoming, but I have found a great job. I'm working for a man who's family also moved here from Europe. We all stay in very tight knit groups.
   Baltimore has been hard to adjust to, because cities are so much louder and smellier than our peaceful farm. There are so many people all searching for the same things: a good paying job and to fit in. Finding a job was more difficult than expected due to all the others just like me. The waste disposal us nasty, and I do not think the town leaders know how to deal with it.
   Our culture is being assimilated by the Americans, which is challenging to accept. I know you always tell me to control the controllable , and I know that there is nothing I can do in this situation, because they never asked for permission, but it has been hard for me to stand by as they take advantage of us. This is a good home for me, but I feel as if I shouldn't live in a place where the people wear our religious systems without knowing the meaning. The best way for me to continue happily living here is to assimilate with their culture and try my best to fit in. I hope all is well.
Sincerely,
Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment